THE CAPE TOWN GOEMA ORCHESTRA
The Cape Town Goema Orchestra performing “A-Flat Major” at SABC Studios Auditorium in Cape Town. Mac McKenzie’s 2010 symphony saw the ground-breaking combination of indigenous Cape sounds (including Khoi-San mouth bow, minstrel banjo, “klopse” percussion and jazz brass) with classical instrumentation. Preparations, rehearsals and the première of “Goema Symphony No. 1″ appear in the film Mama Goema (2011).
GOEMA SYMPHONY NO. 1 EP
Produced by Profoundly South African, this “bootleg” EP documents the inaugural performance of the Cape Town Goema Orchestra and the birth of a new vision for South African music. The CD showcases highlights from Goema Symphony No. 1 and contains enhanced features to view on computer. Get it here.
TABLE BAY CONCERTO DVD
This “bootleg” concert recording was produced by Profoundly South African for the Cape Town Composers’ Workshop archive and documents the world première of Mac McKenzie’s Table Bay Concerto in November 2011. It also features the work of guest composers Mandla Mlangeni, Derek Gripper and Chantal Willie.
1. D-Major Goema (G.S. McKenzie)
2. Inventory (M. Mlangeni)
3. Copenhagen (D. Gripper)
4. Zaziwe (C. Willie)
5. The Table Bay Concerto in G-Major (G.S. McKenzie)
6. Healing Destination ft. Kaatjie Davids (G.S. McKenzie)
GOEMA ORCHESTRA EVENTS
* Goema Symphony No. 1 Première (Cape Town, August 2010)
* Goema Symphony No. 1 & Guest Composers (Cape Town, March 2011)
* Table Bay Concerto Première & Guest Composers (Cape Town, November 2011)
* Swiss Goema Friendship Orchestra (Switzerland, April 2012)
* South Atlantic Suite Première & Guest Composers (Cape Town, September 2012)
* South Atlantic Suite & Guest Composers (Cape Town, December 2012)
* Goema Orchestra Summer Season 2013 (Cape Town, November 2013)
* Goema Orchestra Sixth Season (Cape Town, August 2014)